I read an article in the newspaper the other day about Narcissism, and how our society is becoming more self-centered every day. Apparently, a college professor had enough with students calling him to make other arrangements for examinations, and the students assumed he would, unlike twenty years ago when students would be highly apologetic and request accomodation.
This has made a profound effect upon me. Jeff and I try to stick Philippians 2:3 into our childrens' memory, but perhaps I need to model it better first.
The verse says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."
Modeling this verse and expecting your children to obey it is very difficult. I expect my children to learn to be unselfish, but when I'm alone with them, and they are supposed to be unselfish, it really looks like I'm being selfish. The so-called "fine-line" exists between good parenting and g0od modeling.
God has shown me that I do need to meet the same expectations I have for my children. I often find reasons why I need a break before my chores are completed, and I would not allow Keegan and Serena the same grace. Also, I ask them to help me with my chores, but often I refuse to help them with theirs.
We just had three snow days in a row, and now we have two weekend days. It's really easy to say, "Mom worked hard all day," when nobody was here to see how many computer breaks I took to check e-mail and such. During this time of snow week, I was allowed to work hard and extend a little more freedom to my two than previously. It is a good lesson for me.
Saturday, February 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment