Yes, I stole the title from my friend's blog, but it is so true. In the education profession, there are so many children who just need better parents.
Anyhow...as I substitute teach, I had a class that was rather naughty...until all of the Special Education students left. Then, the class was very well behaved. Then, the SpEd students came back. The well behaved class vanished into chaos again. As we are lining up to go to the library, one girl tattles on a boy. The boy starts yelling with a street accent, saying, "You don't snitch. Ain't nobody snitch on nobody where we live. You're not supposed to tell!" Wow. I "wonder" what happens at his house?!
At the same school, a girl, who behaved for most of the day, became very angry/sullen at the end of the day. I asked her what was wrong and if she wanted to talk about it. She slightly nodded her head "no" and didn't do anything else. A friend of hers was trying to console her, but she had the mindset of "no snitching." Suddenly, her friend began mis-"quoting" the Bible. Something along the lines of "The Bible says that people who are ___________ (fill-in a religious association) will prosper." She continued with the fact that only they would prosper. I didn't know what to do. I should have said something, but I couldn't think of any appropriate thing to say at that moment. I really failed because I didn't say anything at all.
There are more stories, but I'm afraid I would just make myself depressed with them.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment