Monday, October 19, 2009

Can You Say "Scary?" I Sure Did!

So, as we continued building the deer blind, Jeff was beginning to work on the difficult side of the roof. This side does not have scaffolding because there is not a window on that side of the blind. Jeff climbed up a precariously positioned ladder as I held it with one hand from the front mini-porch that is nine feet in the air.

All of the sudden, we hear gun shots. That is not a big deal because we live in the country, and I have actually grown accustomed to them now. (All city readers are sitting at the edge of their seats right now while all of the country readers are saying, "So what?")

Even more suddenly, we hear something whizzing overhead, and my ever-calm husband who sometimes calls me panicky started shouting, "Get Down! Get DOWN NOW!"

Realizing that there are bullets passing very close to our heads, I also realized that I was holding the precarious ladder on which my husband was standing. Of course, by this time, he was scrambling down it, but I felt the need to hold it until he was most of the way down so he didn't land in a tree, bush, or fall down the embankment on a giant extension ladder. As soon as I could, I ran down the steps which don't have a hand rail yet! I never imagined I could do that so quickly!

We laid down in front of our truck, shoving Keegan underneath the front part, and keeping the dogs down with us. The dogs thought that this was great fun. Chester always gets excited when he hears firearms because it means he gets to retrieve birds. Neither dog sensed the urgency with which we humans were feeling. Jeff thought that a neighbor might have been shooting a high-powered rifle into the air at birds from a couple of miles away.

Since we didn't know who was shooting, what they were shooting, or what their target was, Jeff told us to go down the embankment and come up around the far neighbors house. We kept hearing gun shots the entire time, most of the bullets were landing in our far trees, but some were near us by the truck, so we had to get out of there.

We walked down the embankment and ran up the bare hill toward our neighbors house. Finally, we circled around and got inside. Jeff went out to investigate what was happening.

Apparently, our next door neighbor was doing target practice with his pistol, He had plywood and a dirt embankment to capture the bullets, but he didn't realize that his bullets ricocheted onto our property. He was really sorry about the entire thing, and promised to move his targets. Jeff offered to help him build a better embankment with our tractor.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

1 comment:

Bugle Boy said...

What...no one got shot?? C'mon...give us a story that is truly exciting! Kidding...Praise the Lord that no one was hurt!