Saturday, March 13, 2010

Sleepover Surprise

Since Keegan turned ten this week, Jeff and I decided to make this birthday extra special. We allowed Keegan to have a friend spend the night. We don't often do this for various reasons, but we wanted to make 10 a special birthday. Keegan asked Johnny to come to our house.

Jeff is at a conference for a few days, so I am holding down the fort all by myself. I picked up our 14 year old friend Bronwyn, too, for a while to join the festivities. Not only does she have fun playing around, but she also provides some adult companionship for me while on this venture.

I picked up the children from school, and we met Johnny there. We went to our favorite bowling alley and video arcade. Of course, there was a lot of competition during this event. Johnny bowls often, so he and I were competing for a score, while Keegan and Serena competed, too. Serena beat Keegan both times, but I think that was because she used the roller assistance, while I made Keegan bowl on his own. Bronwyn fell somewhere in the middle.

At the video arcade, we went through all of our tokens in about 5 minutes. We are very compulsive when it comes to spending. We need to work on that. Many tickets were won, and everyone purchased candy! SUGAR RUSH!

We came back home and made pizza! Later, Bronwyn went home, and Keegan, Johnny, and Serena made tents in Keegan's room. Every blanket they could find became precariously stacked on wobbly pieces of furniture, weighed down by books. Needless to say, the room was a mess. Then, the boys wanted to sleep in the tent. Serena wanted to sleep there, too, but I didn't want that. Eventually, Serena and I built a tent in her room in which she slept. Finally, at about 11:00pm, I went to bed because I didn't hear any more noises coming from Keegan's room.

At 1:30am, I was awoken by the boys, who heard a strange noise. Keegan tried to convince me that there was someone downstairs. In my disoriented state, I had to try to think logically about what was happening, while giving them a good explanation so they would go back to sleep. I told them that the dogs were not barking, so no one could be here, and I listed a few appliances that make noise. That seemed to suffice them. After their alarm, I could not go back to sleep for another hour. Grrr.

At about 7:15am, I heard footsteps, and a dog came into my room and nuzzled me awake. I stumbled down the stairs to see Johnny grinning from ear to ear in the kitchen. The coffee pot was percolating, and there were scrambled eggs and bagels on the table. I don't know where Keegan was, but Johnny said, "Keegan and I made breakfast for you and Serena." I smiled because the thought was so sweet. The kitchen was fairly clean, too.

Keegan returned, and I asked them what time they woke up. Johnny said they were up at 6:00am, but they made the eggs at midnight. Now, I was very confused. Apparently, the boys woke up at midnight, made scrambled eggs, coffee, and bagels for only Serena and I. The coffee spilled, but they cleaned it up and decided to wait until morning to finish making it. I grinned, trying to not laugh.

Keegan commented that he was surprised that the dogs did not get the food off of the table during the night. I was amazed by that fact, too. He also added that I might want to heat up the eggs before I ate them. Um...yeah. Serena and I had nuked eggs and retoasted bagels for breakfast. Too funny!

No comments: