Sometimes I think that I live in a madhouse. Maybe I really do. If I start to tell a close friend about our circumstances, I become reflective while relaying the situation. What happens in our house really does sound crazy. We are dealing with adopted children and their trauma. I cannot begin to explain the "ins" and "outs" of all that goes with that.
Tonight, I saw my husband, Jeff, do a beautiful thing: while our 13-year-old acted like a totally selfish toddler, my husband was filled with grace. He responded kindly to unkindness. He showed mercy to an unmerciful child looking for a fight.
Sometimes, the traumatized child needed their developmental gaps revisited. That seemed to happen tonight. Jeff switched gears and treated a 13-year-old like he was three, and the results ended much better. So, when the kiddo started yelling upstairs for me, saying, "MOMMY!" I went up there and sang to him, just like I did when he was three. He did so much better when I lowered my expectations.
Glory to God for insight into our "next steps" in dealing with the beautiful mess we call life. He truly provides when we seek him in prayer.

No comments:
Post a Comment