Monday, January 25, 2021

Highs and Lows

I love working with students!  From little kiddos all the way to people working on advanced degrees, I simply enjoy God's calling on my life to invest in life-on-life relationships.  My mainstay is middle schoolers.  (I know; I'm crazy!)  At our church, I meet weekly with a small group of middle school gals and two other leaders.  We often begin our sessions with "highs and lows," which means that each person shares the best part of their week and the worst part of their week.  This prompt is an easy way to get everyone involved in discussion, and it seems to set a good pace for our small group time.

Middle school ministry blesses my socks off!  I even have the distinct privilege of my youngest "child" joining us in middle school this year. Well...except that he struggles to behave.  He's adopted, and with adoption comes trauma.  I could go into a mile long list of diagnoses and all of the therapies to deal with such diagnoses, however, I'm not seeking justification for why he acts the way he does, or why I react the way I do!  I simply seek to verify some highs and lows of adoption.

High - It is a distinct privilege to open our home to nine youngsters who needed a refuge from their life's circumstances.  God's specific calling on our lives remains clear - look after orphans in their distress.

High - Six of those children reunited with their families.

Low - Three of those children never could return home.

High - These same three children remained in our care, and eventually we adopted them.

Low - The struggle is real.  There is simply not enough of myself or my husband to adequately parent these three children.  Some days exhaust us from the next "thing" with which we must deal.  We give and pour ourselves out. Some days we cry; some days we question our calling, but God reassures us of his unending love, and we continue to another day.

High - Some days are really joyous!  The blessing of watching children grow and mature fascinates us.  All glory to God, lessons are learned, and we progress in our joy in the faith.

Low - Conflicting criticism from others comes in waves.  I'm dumb-founded that in the same week, one person says that we are too strict while another says that we just need more discipline in our home.  Well-meaning people, who truly believe that they are lovingly confronting us, come from completely different viewpoints.  One person indicates that we are not involved enough while another indicates that we prioritize our children too much and need to take more time for ourselves.  (Coincidently--no Providentially--a third person tells us that they appreciate our judgment and how we have a good balance of the "here and now" along side of "the long haul" in regards to parental involvement.)

High - I used to be ashamed of all the so-called "messes" we constantly waded through with our children. Well, I still become embarrassed at times, but my husband and I persevere at embracing our calling with all of its highs and lows.

High - God is still on his throne!  He knows the end of the story, and all he desires is our faithfulness to the end.

No comments: