Here I am again, flying back from a visit with J. He’s still in need of more care than my husband and I can provide. I spent the weekend in the visitation room because we did not have off-campus privileges. We completed a 500 and a 1000 piece puzzle. We played lots of games. J acted squirrelly at times while other times were ok. I was disappointed to be inside the small visitation room.
As I left, the tears started to flow, as is our custom. We vowed to not start crying until after dinner at least. (We definitely started the water-works before dinner!) As we searched for a staff member to let me outside, we found one with a client. All clients there have supervision, so an additional young man had the opportunity to watch J and I say our tearful good-byes. This maybe 16-year-old said, “I wish I was him,” referring to J. I responded with a confused look, to which he repeated, rather emotionlessly, “I wish I was him. I don’t have any family.”
I stood, staring for a moment, shocked at this teen’s predicament. Although I had much sympathy, I completely lacked empathy because I’ve never lived such. Simply, I said, “I’m sorry.”
With his eyes locked on my pooling red eyes, this teen said, “That’s ok. They weren’t good people anyway.” I grabbed one more hug from J and was “swiped out” of the door by the staff key fob.
My head was spinning with thoughts. How can a young man come to grips with the fact that he is better without certain influences. Why can’t we all come to grips with the “precious” things of this life that we would do well to be without.
During my visit, I had prayed for an opportunity to share the heart of the gospel message: Christ died and rose to save us! Upon talking with J, I received the same answer of, “I know; I know.”
The beauty of that message is if we lay down ourselves, we will have immeasurably more freedom. I’ve been studying the book of Galatians lately, and chapter 2 verse 20 stands out:
“I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
Christ died for love, not obedience-not some regrettable guilt-ridden slavery; he loved us. There is such freedom in that love. Selfishness only leads to disappointment and shattered hope. Accepting Christ’s gift of salvation provides mankind with everything of value in this life. My prayer is that all members of our family come to put their faith in the love of Jesus Christ.

No comments:
Post a Comment