
like father, like son

I have two choices:
I can embrace this, or I can resist.
Resistance is futile. Assimilation is eminent.
For those of you who are Star Trek fans, the last line is very funny right now. I extend my sincerest apologies to those of you who aren't Trekkies, and no, that is not my opinion of the situation.
If you are a steady reader here at Passion 4 the Praise, you know that my husband and I serendipitously found a particular 40 acre farm near us to "Hobby Farm" as the real estate business would call it. Seeing as I have learned the term "Hobby Farm" and am even thinking about the real estate business, we are obviously more serious about this idea now, and I've warmed up to it much better after talking with some friends of ours who do recreational farming.
Trying to make a financially prudent choice about buying and selling in a particularly poor market is an adventure all by itself. However, we are inquiring about that.
The original 40 acre farm currently has a "sale pending" sign on the grounds. In spite of that fact, we have located several 40 acre farms to consider. Also, we have found several other farms in the area that are not 40 acres.
One place has 115 acres of well developed land with a mammoth house on it. Beautiful, I must say, but not the aforementioned "financially prudent" move for us.
In direct contradistinction, another 40 acre farm had a semi-junk yard in the back lawn, if you can call it a lawn, and the house was in tatters. This was a genuine fixer-upper. Jeff said a match would do a lot better. It's a little spooky, too because the owner passed away, and many things were left just the way they were when he left. The rusted over tractor and pick-up truck were not appealing. I told Jeff that this was not an option.
Just south of the spooky house, there is a nice house with a two large pole barns. Unfortunately, there are only 5 acres available.
There is a 77 acre farm with a nice house and good outbuildings. It has little landscaping, but a 5 acre parcel is waterfront. The owners are willing to split the 5 acres and sell it separately.
I'm still enamored with the original 40 farm we found. It hasn't sold yet, and they've had two previous sales pending that fell through the cracks. I actually got to walk through the house, too. It is very clean and needs a lot of remodeling, but the remodeling isn't urgent. The house is very livable in its present condition.
We also learned that there are ever-bearing red raspberries, pears, cherries, elderberries, grapes, asparagus, rhubarb, lilacs, and three varieties of apples! Yay for things that don't need to be planted every year! Several deer are on the property in the evening. The other night, we saw at least twenty.
We are still praying for direction. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment