Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to School Shopping

Yesterday, I took the children shopping for school clothing, and I took my mother along for morale support.

:)

Basically, Keegan had precious few clothes that even fit because the boy is growing, and Serena, well, she just likes shopping. Serena has wonderful taste in clothes; she instantly gravitates towards the most expensive rack in the store.

My mom helped Serena at the first store. Serena was hilarious because she told her Grandma exactly what clothes I would and wouldn't allow. She saw one shirt that said had the words "Sugar Daddy" on it, and she said that it should be hers because her daddy is really sweet. However, she added that she didn't think I would let her get it, so she wouldn't even try.

I was a bit flustered at the end of our shopping trip for a few reasons. Reason one: Keegan had lost interest, but he still needed clothes. Reason two: Serena was still thrilled to be shopping and had already received more clothes than necessary. What is a mother supposed to do at 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon? Finally, Grandma took Serena to sit outside of the last store while Keegan and I went to look at things because we did not need another dress!

We entered the last stop. At that moment, I began to observe other mothers with their sons in the boys section. I almost laughed. One eight or nine year-old boy was crying and tailing his mom from a distance. They had the following conversation:

Mom: "Stop it. What is the matter now?"
Son: "I can't do this anymore."
Mom: "What do you mean?"
Son: "I'm sooo bored."
Mom: "I don't care if you are bored. Knock it off."

Honestly, I could see myself having the same conversation with Keegan.

Another younger boy looked dazed and confused as his mom asked him if he liked a particular shirt. He nodded yes, then no, and then shrugged his shoulders.

A Spanish mom and her cross looking son went from one rack to the next. The mom would hold up a article of clothing and ask something. The boy would answer negatively, and they moved to another rack.

One boy, about twelve years of age, sat on the edge of a display shelf with bags around him. He stared off into space, and I never did locate where his mom was.

After those observations, I realized that Keegan really was doing well for the end of the day. Finally, we went home, and Jeff had cooked us a special meal! Yay!

No comments: