Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Bit Mixed Up

The children make me laugh. They mix up words all of the time. Their vocabularies have increased because of us, but the larger words get lost in the phonics. Keegan often gets all of the sounds to a large word correct, and it becomes a decoding game for Jeff and I to unscramble the word to make sense of it.

I especially like when they give one or two details to a seemingly random thought, and I have no idea what they are talking about. Serena gives several Kindergarten-type dialogue comments, which are totally off topic. Seriously, she goes to la-la land and expects that everyone went with her. We were talking about pharmacy and dad's work tonight, and suddenly she said that she likes some girls shirt at the mall yesterday.

Another funny thing, tonight the children dressed up like pirates. Serena ran around with a patch on her eye, and she said, "Aye, aye, aaaaaaaaaaaye."

I looked at her with a huge grin on my face, stifling the laughter, and I said, "You have the wrong letter, honey. It's ARRR (R), not Aye (I)." She instantly switched to R's, and was running off playing. Jeff looked at me and laughed. Sometimes I wonder how I can figure out what they are thinking. With all of the voices and accents we use around here, Serena knew pirates said some letter; she just didn't remember that it was the letter R.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

No comments: