The traffic out here is crazy! I had to speed up and slow down so much. It makes Grand Rapids driving look like dealing with the Amish buggies by our house. The roads are better than Boston, but they do curve a lot (Boston roads don't make any sense in their layout, but Jeff and I can make sense of these roads). I could see a shopping center in the distance, but any time I thought I was heading toward it, the road turned away. Then, suddenly a right-turn-only lane appears, or there is a left-turn-only lane, or both right and left lanes turn right. The best intersection style I saw was the far left lane can choose a U-turn or turn left, the left lane could go left or straight, the center lane could only go straight, and the right lane could only turn right.
Beyond the driving, there are random hazards. There is a bike lane, which periodically travels between the straight lane and the right turn lane at an intersection. Sometimes the bike lane is two feet wide, sometimes it is about six inches wide. Not to worry, though. It only shrinks to six inches when you are winding around some of the foothills, so you can't see any oncomming traffic until they are upon you. In some busy streets, there are four way stops. Also, foot traffic has the right-of-way at the four way stops. One entrance ramp to the highway had a fifteen foot merge section after a double left turn lane! Do you feel the insanity? Also, half of the main roads have the word Mission in them.
-CHANGING SUBJECTS-
Anyhow, Jeff and I had different fun today. I went to the "Mission Basillica San Diego de Alcala" today. That was the very first Spanish mission founded in California by Father Junipero Serra in 1769. Most of the Mission has been restored since then due to earthquakes, a fire, Indian attacks, and the place being used as an Army outpost. It was very beautiful. You can check it out online at:
Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala
In the midst of trying to get to and from the Mission, I drove around a very lucrative community high on the clay cliffs overlooking the ocean. That was fun.
I also went shopping and found a tie for Jeff and a new purse for me. Yes, they were good deals.
Jeff had his MPA (Michigan Pharmacy Association) lunch at Fred's Mexican Restaurant. He really enjoyed the chicken Fajitas. Yes, the Michigan people get together and take Pharmacy students from Ferris and Wayne State out to lunch.
We relocated to another hotel for his conference. It's really nice! So, we are having lots of fun.

1 comment:
You are crazy. City driving is not fun :o) I'm glad you're enjoying it. Can't wait to see the pictures when you return!
Post a Comment