Wednesday, May 6, 2009

God Uses Imperfect People

While reading a bit of the Bible (Genesis, for those who want more specifics), I was reminded that God uses imperfect people to accomplish his will. Abraham was a great guy, but he had quite a personality while using his own judgement for what he felt was best. I don't fully understand the early Mesopotamian and Egyptian culture, but some things just don't make sense.

1. Why did he choose to build a family through Hagar by Ishmael? (Why would Sarah even suggest the idea?)

2. Why did Abraham and Sarah doubt God's promises?

3. Why, after angels told them that they would have a son a year later, did they move to a place and deceive the people into thinking that they weren't married, causing an entire raft of problems to follow?

My questions could continue, but Abraham was imperfect. I could name a lot of people from the Bible who were imperfect, and their imperfections were recorded! However, the lesson to be learned is that I should not "freak out" when something goes wrong due to my failure. I just need to keep moving in God's direction.

No comments: