Amidst the stress and busyness of life, Jeff and I try to see the little joys. We often have people over to our house, and we leave out a couple of different toys around the house for our guests' enjoyment. At varying times, we have gained some amusement from them as well.
My nephew and I had great bonding time at one family gather because he taught me how to complete the Rubik's cube. Of course, I had to purchase one and practice my skills. I also found the cube to be rather therapeutic during my random allergic reactions because I can keep my hands busy working the cube instead of itching.
Leaving the Rubik's cube around our house is very interesting. Periodically, we have Pharmacy students over to our house in rather large numbers. Being the intellectual people that they are, they soon began to play with the cube, desperately trying to figure it out. It's fun to watch them for a while, and then I take and complete it in a matter of seconds. They momentarily look at me with awe, and then they want me to teach them. It's fun!
We also have a toy called Pin Art. If you want to see a picture, just google the words pin art. Anyhow...it is a box that has a four by six inch area of plastic pins, with a non-pointy end at the bottom. The fun part is that you can leave an impression of something. For example, if I put the box on my hand, the pins push upward right around my hand, showing the pins in the shape of a hand without actually seeing the hand. Then, I just set the toy on its side, and all of the pins retain the same shape. Basically, the back side leaves an impression of an object while the front side actually looks like the object.
Needless to say, we have had great pleasure in creating impressions of household objects and funny faces. The most entertaining part is that we leave it out in our living room. As different guests pass by, they feel the need to leave an impression for us.
After a gathering, whether students, family, or friends, Jeff and I usually unwind by reading or watching a little TV in our living room. As we get comfortable, one of us will notice that the Pin Art has yet changed again. Then, we both will have a laugh at the latest impression.
Several hand and face impressions have been left. My brother made a love sign with his hand. A college student left his face with his tongue sticking out. My music students often leave their impressions. Just last night, one of our friend's children was watching Keegan, and she left us her face. After we returned home and noticed it, we just laughed.
I think the best part of all is that a simple little toy is so irresistible.
Sunday, April 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like a cool toy for sure!
How often do we leave our "impressions" on others!
Post a Comment