Monday, April 6, 2009

Day Five: More Running

We returned to the Alamo (really, we walk by it several times every day) to take pictures since I didn't have my camera yesterday. Then, we went to the Buckhorn Saloon to take some pictures. After that, we went to the children's museum. There, Keegan got to do several activities, including operating a front loader tractor and powering an elevator with his own muscle to pull us to the second floor. We both played the drums on a virtual reality machine. It was really weird to hear a beat without actually hitting anything.


Keegan really enjoyed the independence of playing in the store all by himself.




This is him pulling both of us up in an elevator.


Big Bubbles




Keegan operated a tractor alone.








They had a toy bank with a toy ATM where children could play.


Trolley Driver


These were giant Lincoln Log style building blocks.


We had fun designing a house.








This represented an old Mission wall.


Chillaxin' in an old Victorian house.


Grandpa's favorite-a pipe organ

For lunch, we returned to the Buckhorn. Soon after, we caught up with Jeff and headed toward another Spanish mission that has not been restored. It was very interesting, but half of the mission was destroyed by people seeking building materials. There were some neat original frescoes on the walls from the 1700's. Seeing original stone and plaster created a great sense of awe for me.




People had actually taken the stones as building materials for other places.




I thought this view was neat.



This was an original frescoe, painted by Spanish monks in the early 1700's.


Keegan was not impressed. We had a good discussion about how I really didn't like some activities we did, but I wasn't rude when we went to see Science things or dead animals mounted on walls. He was a bit more understanding after that point in time.

Upon arrival back at our hotel, Jeff had to return to the land of Pharmacy, while Keegan and I returned to the river walk to have dinner. We went to Joe's Crab Shack, mainly because I knew that Jeff would never let us go there with him. I ordered a pound of snow crab and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Keegan had pizza. At times, Keegan helped me crack my dinner, which was interesting.

Now, the chronicle of travels is up-to-date. We are currently watching Michigan State get spanked by the University of North Carolina. Keegan is cheering for UNC because they are leading. Jeff is telling Keegan to hush when they score.

1 comment:

Bugle Boy said...

This sounds like an awesome trip...one that Keegan (and you both) will remember! I'm jealous that you guys went to Joe's Crab Shack!