We've been cutting a lot of firewood for our wood stove lately, especially from our old house. We've gotten a lot of wood. A friend of mine mockingly said, "Chop, chop, chop." Well...I don't chop. I lift. Then I lift some more. Wood heat is great in the winter. Not so in the summer.
Today was an entirely different adventure. We fell a tree right where we wanted it to land--next to the pond. Jeff buzzed everything up, and we all loaded it into the two trucks. After most of the heavy base of the trunk was gone, I noticed that Schnitzel had gotten stung by a bee. Basically, she was flailing around everywhere. Then, Chester received a sting because he jumped and headed straight for the pond. I verbalized that I though both dogs had gotten stung.
Jeff asked, "Really?" That's when the new adventure began. We were trying to process where the bees were, when Keegan jumped up and began panicking, running, and yelling. We knew he had been stung, but we couldn't figure out a lot until he calmed down. Apparently, he had been stung behind the ear and on his shoulder.
Well, Keegan is apparently very allergic to this particular type of bee. We were watching for signs of swelling, and they began about 30 minutes after he was stung. His face started turning red, and his lips began to swell. We had him take some Benadryll and put him in the truck to take to the ER.
He was looking very swollen at the ER with hives on his face, back, chest, belly, and arms. Soon he received many medications, and the swelling went down. The staff placed cold cloths and ice packs on him. Soon, he was shivering due to his lack of body fat. Off went the cloths and ice packs.
Keegan was very brave, but then he was very sleepy from lots of Benadryll. We watched some Star Wars on the TV as the staff monitored his hives for about an hour. Then, they released Keegan to go home.
Later, Keegan was singing and being a goof-ball again, but his face was still a bit swollen. He looked very chubby when he'd smile with his thick little lips and pudgy cheeks. He was very cute.
Friday, July 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh dear! I'm glad Keegan is okay..and the dogs too! What do you do for dogs when they get stung?
What an adventure!
Schnitzel actually was stung in the eye about two weeks ago, and it swelled almost shut. The dogs survive it, and they certainly can't complain about it.
Post a Comment