Thursday, July 1, 2010

Penny and Joe - the Next Generation

Traveling back in time a little over twenty years ago to my childhood, my brother and I used to play a game. We would pretend that we were Penny and Joe. You see, Penny and Joe always had great fun and adventures together. As youngsters, Penny and Joe had wonderful lives.

Did I mention that Penny and Joe never argued or were cross with one another? Unlike little Shawn and Sheryl, Penny and Joe could play for hours without altercation. I often recall my parents trying to end a Shawn and Sheryl cycle of antagonize and tattle by saying, "Oh, just go play Penny and Joe for awhile." (Later, I recall being told this at the age of twelve, and I responded that Penny and Joe were dead. That was not a great idea.)

Well, my children have developed the same little game. Suddenly, Keegan and Serena transform themselves into Francis and Kayla. I'm still not sure how they derived those names, but the game remains steady. Francis and Kayla do not fight and can play for hours on end, having great adventures. Sometimes they are pioneers like "Little House on the Prairie." At other times, they are exploring the wilderness and fighting off pirates like "The Swiss Family Robinson." Sometimes, they have magical powers, and sometimes they just ride their bikes.

Then Keegan and Serena return, and the arguments begin. At those moments, I faintly hear my parents saying in the background, "Oh, just go play Penny and Joe for awhile."

No comments: