So, as a substitute teacher, I come across many interesting things, including t-shirts. Many of them cast blame on brothers, sisters, parents. Some are just plain rude. I saw one today that said, "Cereal Killer" and it displayed a skull with two spoons crossed. I find it witty but oh-so-disturbing at the same time.
Today, I asked a students what he was doing. He replied, "Nothing."
I turned to him and said, "Well, that's the problem, now. Isn't it?" He grinned as other students laughed, and he actually pulled some work out of his folder.
Another student was almost six foot tall in the sixth grade. It was really funny to watch him jump up and down, flailing his arms when he got excited about the weekend. No, this child did not have mental problems. His body has just outgrown his mind at this point.
It's the same with Keegan; many people think that at times he is so mature for his age. Then I tell them that he's eight years old. He looks so small that people assume he's only six. This other boy just had the opposite problem because he looks about 18, but is really only 13.
This same giant child said to me, "Have a nice weekend."
I replied with, "Yeah, you too."
I must have said it in a busy fashion which he took as sarcastic, because he turned back to me and said, "No, I really meant, 'Have a nice weekend.'"
"Yeah," I said. 'I really meant, "Yeah, you too.'" He grinned and bobbed his head from side to side as he walked away.
Friday, April 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment