Saturday, June 21, 2008

"frout my pack-pack" and other Keeganisms

We've worked on these phrases a lot, but changing something he's used for who knows how long is really hard.


Keegan said, "Mom, I came frout my pack-pack, today."

Mom turns and looks at Keegan, saying something only with her wide eyes.

"Without. I came without my pack-pack, today." *instantly turns and looks around* "Mom, you went to the recycling center frout Keegan!" *pause* "Without."

I often ponder how many times that child refers to himself, as well as us, in the third-person. Then, I start doing the same thing and get a bit frustrated because of it.

Once I told Keegan that the word was "back-pack" not "pack-pack." He grinned at me and gently explained, "No, mom. Other people have a back-pack, but mine has always been a pack-pack." IT'S NOT EVEN A BACK-PACK, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!


He uses creative words instead of the real words, including "unrase" for "erase" and "but-spite" for "in-spite-of."


He does have a very sensitive side, too. One day, Keegan floored my brother at his house. Jeff and I were inside, gabbing with the family, and Shawn and Keegan were outside playing some basketball.

Shawn said, "Why don't you go get your dad to play with us?"

Keegan replied with, "I think he needs some wife time right now."


On another occasion, I had heard some bad news about my grandma's health. I cried a little bit when I got off of the phone. Keegan had no idea what was going on, but he came over, snuggled up, and cried with me. I later told him that my grandma was not doing very well.

That caused a ruckus, because he had trouble distinguishing between my mother (his grandma) and my grandma. I think I got that all straightened out.

Later that evening, Jeff came home from work. I was in another room, and Keegan told Jeff that, "Mom needs some extra lovin'-on today. She was really sad."

I'm amazed at how he always knows the pulse or temperature of the family dynamic every minute.

2 comments:

friendlyfaces said...

I love the minds of these kids! They so bring us back to reality or out of reality when we need it. Keep documenting everything! Before you know it, you'll have a book!

Bugle Boy said...

Keegan is very intuitive! That's a trait that I don't specialize in...

He is a very special boy...a joy to be with!