Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mirror Image

Warning: this particular blog is a bit more introspective than usual. Read at your own discretion. :)

After doing our first day of summer home-school with Keegan, I have come to realize a few things. I understand my friends who home-school better. There is a sweet and wonderful bond that happened today. I also learned about myself.

Keegan picks up mannerisms and habits. Sometimes, I feel that I'm looking into a three dimensional mirror of my inner person. At times I want to laugh, like when he uses the term "bugger" to describe an inanimate object that is giving him grief while he tries to accomplish a menial task, especially when he begins to talk to the inanimate object.

For example, we were out by the fire pit trying to light wet fuel. (In the first place, that's a pretty silly thing to try, but for us, it's just a challenge to prove some sort of worth.) After several attempts and pieces of dry newspaper, he seriously looks into the fire pit and says, "Come on you bugger!" Then he turns to me and says, "Mom, I can't get this bugger started." In Keegan terms, I wanted to laugh my head off. (Side note: we did finally get a fire going, just before the automatic sprinklers turned on at a strange time due to the power-outages. *pout, sniff*)

I also want to laugh because he sings much of the time. My good friends often tell me that I have a song for all occasions. He even mirrors Jeff by making up silly songs with silly rhymes.

Sometimes the mirror image causes more serious reflection that makes me want to change my ways. I don't like how he scolds the dogs for any personal inconvenience. I asked Jeff once if I sounded like that when I talk to the dogs. He grinned, didn't verbally answer me, and walked away. Without words, I surely received my answer.

Keegan has also begun to answer me with "Yes, Mother" when he becomes annoyed with me. Ouch! I'm sorry, Mom.

At other times, Keegan's mimicking has taught me about why I do certain things. I inadvertently taught him to stick his bottom lip out as an emotional outlet/expression of minimal disappointment. It's not really pouting. I'm just letting everyone know how I feel before I do an activity that I would rather not do.

Oddly enough, Keeg is a work horse, just like Jeff and I. When we get into all serious mode, I sometimes pop a plastic smile on my face. Keegan gives me back the same plastic smile, and it "weirds-me-out" a bit.

I am learning valuable lessons from the boy.

No comments: