Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Now Know Why...

We have been trying to be a bit choosy about which home improvement projects we do in our new house, especially until our previous house sells. One thing that wasn't expensive was putting a light at the top of the stairs going down into our basement. It's an old basement that was probably just a cellar at the turn of the century (1900, not 2000).

It's actually fun to view because it defines the boundary of the original house for us. Since we definitely have a sprawling farm house, Jeff and I spent some time last night conjecturing where additions were as well as remodels over the years of our house's existence. We enjoyed thinking about it.

So, back to the light...seeing down the nose-dive stairs was rather difficult because there was not a light at the top. Jeff installed one this evening. I love my extremely handy hubby so very much! I like the fact that he's handy, too!

Again, back to the light...Jeff patched it through the basement light switch. When it was working, he asked me to take a look. I could see really well, but my first impressions came right out my mouth. (I really need to make a New Years' Resolution about that, but even if I'm silent, my face generally betrays my thoughts anyway.) I said, "Wow. There's a reason for not having light there." Jeff agreed.

Our creative and recreative sides had us guess the following: It looks like there used to be no existing doorway into the basement other than going outside through the cellar doors. During a remodel of the bathroom, space was taken from the bathroom and a hole was cut in the floor, making an indoor entrance to the basement. There wasn't a lot of space, so nose-dive stairs were needed. Since it was just an entrance to the basement, it was left rough and not asthetically pleasing, looking rather interesting. We can even see how the previous bathroom was decorated. Without any light, it is not nearly as noticeable. I'm still glad that I can see.

No comments: