Sunday, February 17, 2008

An Ode to Our Parents (a.k.a. A Long Day)

Oh, parents of ours
How did you do it,
When children of yours
Threw a conniption fit?

I honor you now
because I recall
the times that I needed
a spank in the hall

How you persevered
through the good and the bad
When we did a good job
Or we just made you sad

Through discipline and love
You made us so strong
You taught us, "Choose right
And relinquish the wrong."

No matter how beastly
Or rude we behaved
Some sort of correction
Always was made

And then there's the curse
That strangely paved the way
"I hope you have a child
Just like YOU someday!"

As life continued on
We grew older and moved out
We weren't really sure...
Was there a joyous shout?

No, it couldn't be
A parents' reprieve?
After their children
Got up to leave?

Now we're in that spot
We're receiving your curse
We're not so sure
This just might be worse

He persevers,
yet he's stubborn
With a tongue that slashes
Until we are worn

What do I hear?
That simply cannot be!
We never acted like that,
Not my husband nor me!

But we're here
Committed to the end
Whatever path on which
The Good Lord chooses to send

So I honor you,
Both Father and Mother,
For like you two
There is no other!

3 comments:

friendlyfaces said...

Bittersweet.........
I remember telling myself when Becky was 3, "maybe she'll have a daughter just like her" And wow, Adrianna is a minature Becky! But I can't see the bad side of it, for she is another reminder again that God gives us children to teach us what He wants us to learn! And in Adrianna's eyes, I see the beautiful, careing, thoughtful Becky!
So, I guess you just have to suffer.. just kidding.. Seth will learn, with the two of you!
Keeping praying
Jody

friendlyfaces said...

OOOOPS... I'm bad.. I meant Keegan! Sorry......
I can blame it on my recent sickness??????
Well, I can try!

the Pharmer's Wife said...

That's OK about names. Poor Adrianna seems to struggle with what's happening. She asked me if Keegan was coming the other day. I told her no, and she asked where Keegan was.

Once in a while, she asks "Where's Seth?" We just roll along. :)