As you can see, she is missing her two front teeth, but that did not stop her from talking or eating!
We decided to eat out, and Keegan tried to steer her towards McDonalds. She has a rather compliant personality, so she just stated that she liked McDonalds. I asked her a more open ended question, and she told us that she likes Chinese food. So, we went to a Chinese restaurant. Keegan is not a fan of Chinese eating, and I could tell that his brain was reconsidering this entire sister idea when she suggested that.
Serena likes to chat about anything that is happening. On the ride home, she commented about the cars on the road, and how some were passing us, how we were passing some, and how a buch of cars were stopped in the south bound lane. Then, she commented on how we must live like a million miles away since we were still riding in the car. Keegan explained how Detroit is really far away, and Serena was very glad that we did not live there.
They colored in the car, too, and Serena commented on many things. As we approached our house, Keegan saw Menards and sang, "Save Big Money at Menards."
Instantly, Serena responded, "Live Healthy. Live Better. Walmart." At that point, we knew she would fit so well with our family. Then she went into some car commercial. What a memory!
With all of this talking, there will be a few new phrases added to our house at this time, such as "Oh my gosh!" and "Ewww." We heard these several times throughout our 24 hours with her.
I took Keegan and Serena sledding, and she fearlessly hopped on the sled and took off down the hill after Keegan. At the bottom, she had to comment that they shouldn't have gone down because then they had to walk back up.
Later we played at the gym at church while Jeff did a sound check. After that, we went swimming. Let's just say that Serena did not trust us in the pool at first. Jeff and I traded off turns with each child, playing and swimming. I realized how much Keegan has grown and developed in two short years as he jumped into the pool at the deep end, while Serena had a death grip on my arm. I remember how Keegan used to have the death grip, too, even though he wore a life jacket.
Trust will come. It just takes time.
On the ride home, both kiddos fell asleep. I guess that was a lot of exercise for one day. Soon, we will visit with her again.
This looks a bit awkward, but they played really well together all weekend long.

1 comment:
I am very excited for your family- and for Serena!! What a gift you are giving these kiddos- it must make you be in awe of our own adoption!
Congratulations.
Post a Comment