Sunday, August 10, 2008

First Communion

Today Keegan had his first communion with us at church! It was very exciting as I even shed a tear.

Our denomination does not "celebrate" the first communion, and I felt a little saddened by that fact today. I remember watching the movie "The Godfather part II" (which I recommend the edited TV 14 version!) beginning with the celebration of a child's first communion. The grand party with distinguished guests, decorations, elegant party dresses and dapper suits. The grandeur was excellent. The people making shrewd, illegal business deals was not a great example to follow, though. So much for "The Godfather."

Anyhow...Keegan made a confession of faith in February, so Jeff and I decided to have him wait to take communion until we could discuss the significance of it with him. We finally had a great conversation about Christ's sacrifice and our remembrance of it.

We saw that communion was laid on the front and back tables, so we asked Keegan if he wanted to go up with us or not. Keegan replied with something akin to "What does it mean again? I know the meaning is important." Grinning at his forgetfulness, we gently reminded him about Christ's sacrifice to die on a cross for our sins so we could go to heaven. He replied with an, "Oh, yeah. I remember! I remember!" He decided to join us.

Our church takes communion in different ways, and today each family went toward a table, and the family leader led their family in prayer and communion. Keegan was very serious about it, which makes me really glad. We have also discussed how saying "Amen" at the end of a prayer means that you agree with the prayer. Keegan added a reverent "Amen" when Jeff finished praying, and we partook of communion together as a family! Yay!

No comments: